When it comes to home preparation for winter, we can all take a play from the Boy Scouts’ playbook: be prepared! We all know the drill. Those old, drafty windows aren’t going to fix themselves this year. Do yourself a favor this winter and be prepared with replacement windows from All American Window & Door Co.
Avoid drafts in your Metro Milwaukee home this winter
If you’re in an older home or even a newer home with incorrectly installed windows, drafts can cause all kinds of issues. Here are five issues that can be addressed by installing replacement windows:
- High heating bills – has Santa avoided your home because your energy bill is on the rise and you can’t afford to leave out cookies for him? If your thermostat is set at the same temperature as it was last year and your bills continue to increase, you may have drafty windows. According to energy.gov: “heat gain and heat loss through windows are responsible for 25%–30% of residential heating and cooling energy use.” Uncertain if you have an issue with cold air sneaking in your home? Light a candle and walk past your windows. Does the flame flicker or blow out. If so, your drafty windows are the likely culprit. Be sure to also check for leaks in basement crawl spaces, your attic and around your entry and patio doors.
- Moisture on the interior of your windows – if you’ve ever walked around your home with a towel wiping up condensation—and often times the accompanying tell-tale black mold that comes with it—you know what a pain it can be. You’d think this would only be an issue with older homes but unfortunately, even the best energy-efficient windows money can buy will fail if faultily installed. If there is moist air coming in from outside, due to air leaks around your window, you may be able to reseal the leaks. However, depending on the size of the gap, replacing the offending windows may be the only option to solve the problem. In the meantime, you also want to make sure you’re humidifier is off or set at a lower setting, which can sometimes eliminate or improve the condensation on the interior of your windows.
- Your company doesn’t take their coats off – you know it’s bad when kids who come to visit don’t even take their jackets off. Sometimes, even though you’ve raised the thermostat and turned up the heat, you just can’t shake the chill out of your bones. It’s only after you’ve replaced your windows that you realize how much your old windows were affecting your day-to-day comfort. If you want to prevent Jack Frost from nipping at your nose while you’re sitting on your couch, you may need to reconsider doing nothing about your old windows.
- Your normally quiet neighborhood isn’t so quiet anymore – your old, drafty windows don’t just let in cold air, they also let more noise in. If you’re hearing every time your neighbor tells their pup to “hurry up and go potty!” perhaps replacement windows should be in your near future. One of the things that often surprises our customers is just how much quieter their homes are once our experienced staff installs new windows. Today’s energy-efficient windows feature multiple panes and insulated frames that can dramatically improve the amount of noise blocked out.
- Sticking windows that are difficult to open – we realize that you’re not going to be opening your windows too often during our Wisconsin winters. But every so often you may want to let a little air in. If, like many families, you occasionally burn the microwave popcorn, or a burnt hamburger sets off the fire alarms, it’s nice to be able to easily vent out your kitchen with new, easy to operate casement windows or double-hung windows.
Four other things to keep in mind
We’ve partnered with Soft-Lite—the best replacement windows on the market
We feature Elements™ windows by Soft-lite. Only Elements™ features an engineered sloped sill with a series of barriers and diversions that prevents leaks and holds tight under intense winds. As a matter of fact, Soft-Lite was named the national Energy Star “Partner of the Year” in the “windows” category for the fifth consecutive year in 2018, recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for their continued leadership in protecting the environment through superior energy efficiency achievements.
It’s never too late to install replacement windows.
If you do put off the decision until our next arctic blast, rest assured that our installation department is out installing replacement windows year-round, so you won’t be let out in the cold. Our team of elves and work-belt-toting polar bears are here to help!
Our staff at All American Window & Door is ready to assist you
We realize investing in replacement windows is a big decision and our dedicated team is committed to exceeding your expectations. Unless you are part penguin, we think we can safely assume that you prefer your home to be kept at a moderate temperature. Our goal is your satisfaction and comfort!
You’ve been good this year, right?
You spend a lot of time at home with your family. Replacement windows may seem like a luxury, but you’re worth it! Our winters can drag on in Southeastern Wisconsin, particularly when they start early this year. Even Santa agrees that energy-efficient windows are a must at the North Pole to keep his elves happy and healthy. Check out our positive testimonials from your friends and family in Southeastern Wisconsin who have utilized our services.
Contact us today for a free estimate so our salesmen and get the ball rolling towards a warmer and more comfortable winter for you! We also invite you to visit our showroom and touch and see the various options we have available to you. We open at 9 a.m. Monday – Saturday